7.20.2009

Wasatch Back - June 2009

It has been a month since this awesomeness and my mind is still reeling from the experience. It was one of those adventures you can't recreate or explain . . . at least not well enough to do it justice. If I had to describe it to a non-participant, I'd say it's like physical/emotional/mental whiplash . . . except in slow motion. Oh, and it's a complete blast.
Back Row: Michelle Morris, Liz Schloffman, Shelby Beckstead, Tiffin Tullis, Christie Peterson, Julie Johnson, Ali Searle, Rebecca Fuller, me, Rose Lowry.
Front Row: Megan Carlson, Lisa Allen

We had a carbo-load party the night before D-day. It was delicious and the perfect way to get the party started. Thanks Lisa for hosting!
In case you don't know how it works, one van of runners is running and shuttling runners (relay style) while the other van rests; then you swap. You repeat this process 3 times per van until you've reached the finish line - in this case after 187 miles. The running and training is sooo rewarding and exhilarating. But the "rest" time is really what makes this race unique and amazing. It is prime laughing, not-sleeping, unsensored insanity with friends (new and old), food, and incredible scenery.

Ali, Lisa, Rose, and Michelle (our awesome driver) gearin' up for their first run.

Lisa, Rose, Megs, Liz, and Ali sportin the team uni's - thanks to Lisa for designing them.

Exchange 22 -I just finished my 8 miler and handed off to Rose who proceeded to amaze us (as she did on every one of her legs). Rose you are my hero!
Shelby (my bff and running buddy) and me before our last exchange (we are the crazy ladies who initiated this torture). We had every kind of weather on this race from blistering hot to cold, pelting rain. Here we are trying to pretend we're happy to be standing in the freaking cold rain.

Ali, same story.

Team Alkimos (minus Lizzy - someone had to actually be running in the race to keep us qualified).

Ali (my S-I-L) and me.

This was my last leg. It's called "Ragnar" and it was my ultimate running test: 4 miles uphill on a muddy unpaved road in the rain. Ya ya ya, uphill in the snow both ways, I know I'm not a pioneer, but it was killer for me. The best part of it was - I trained really hard for this and I did it! No stopping, just running and running (not breaking any speed records, but still running).

Booooo-yaaaa! Done and done. That was such a high! Thank you Wasatch Mtn State Park for making that ridiculously steep and pitty road to give me self esteem and a happy happy moment.

Megan and Liz - laughing at some inappropriate joke I'm sure.
Dun, du, nu dah! Finish line!!! I am so glad I did this and so glad it was with these particular people. It was a great experience and I will most likely torture myself in this way again in the future.

Tiffin and Michelle - they are either smiling because they loved it or because it's over?!! I'm going with they loved it.
Me, Megan, and Liz with our hardware. We came in 10th in the Women's - we were in shock! We even had several missed exchanges and sloppy handoff's - we really didn't even think about doing well, just having a great time and avoiding death. Imagine if we'd been competing? Next time maybe.
Me, Lisa, Shelby, and Tiffin.
THE END!!!